Meetings held in 2012-2013
April 13 @ LGBT Carriage House, University of Pennsylvania Symposium in Celebration of the Thirtieth Anniversary of the Delaware Valley Medieval Association
Organizer: Martha Easton Speakers:
• Edward Peters (University of Pennsylvania), "Just One More Foundation Myth: From the Lilly Pennsylvania Program to the DVMA"
• Agnieszka E. Szymańska (Temple University),"Designing the Vault of Heaven at the Cappella Palatina, Palermo"
• Jeffrey Jerome Cohen (George Washington University), "Medieval/Environmental Activism"
Participants in Roundtable Discussion of "The Future of Medeival Studies":
• Celia Chazelle (The College of New Jersey)
• Dallas G. Denery (Bowdoin College)
• Darin Hayton (Haverford College)
• E. Ann Matter (University of Pennsylvania)
• Karen Overbey (Tufts University)
• David Wallace (University of Pennsylvania)
March 16 @ University of Pennsylvania Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology
Topic: “Crossing Bridges”
Organizer: Dale Kinney
• Larry Nees (University of Delaware), “Arculf”
• Louis Hamilton (Drew University), “Invisible Cities, Invented Histories: Jerusalem and Rome in the Exegesis of Bruno of Segni”
• Jesse Mann (Montclair State University), "Juan de Segovia & Islam:
Opportunities, Obstacles and Contexts"
• Renata Holod, University of Pennsylvania, Lecture and Gallery Visit
December 1 @ Princeton University
Organizer: Colum Hourihane Speakers:
• Johanna Seasonwein (Princeton University Art Museum), "A Tale of Two Windows: the Gothic Revival at Princeton University"
• Courtney Palmbush (Princeton Theological Seminary), "The Frontier and Patrick's 'Ministry of Slavery’ "
• Susan Auth (Curator Emerita, Newark Museum), "Birds and Their Symbolism in the Late Antique Art of Egypt"
• Danielle Oteri (International Center of Medieval Art, The Cloisters), "The Unicorn Tapestries at the Cloisters: Weaving a New Interpretation"
• Anna Zayaruznaya (Princeton University), "Cis chans veult boire! On the Anthropomorphisation of Late-Medieval Song"
• John Rassweiller (Independent Scholar), "A collection of seal matrices of the common People: Signatures and a Portal to Medieval Life"
• Mayke de Jong (Utrecht University), "Epitaph for an Era: Paschasius Radbertus and his Lament for Wala"
September 15 @ The Philadelphia Museum of Art Topic: Visions of Wonder, Thoughts of the Divine
Organizer: Geoffrey W. Gust
• Rita Copeland (University of Pennsylvania), “Living with Uncertainty: Reactions to Aristotle’s Rhetoric in the Later Middle Ages"
• Julia Verkholantsev (University of Pennsylvania), “The Two Bibles of St. Jerome: The Question of the
Vernacular and the Legend of St. Jerome’s Slavonic Rite and Letters”
• Robert Maxwell (University of Pennsylvania), "Fraud"
• Dale Kinney (Bryn Mawr College), “Holy Popes”